1 cup AP flour
1 Tbs sugar
1/2 ts kosher salt
6 Tbs chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg, beaten to blend
8-10 oz fresh blueberries or
10 oz fresh strawberries, sliced
Dried lavender flowers (optional)
Fresh mint, chopped (optional)
Fresh thyme, leaves (optional)
Servings: 5 small galettes
Preparation time: 15 min plus dough should be chilled until firm, from 30 min to 2 hours
Baking time: 40-50 min
- Whisk flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add butter and rub in with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add beaten egg and mix until dough comes together.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface.
- Form a ball, wrap in plastic, and chill in a fridge until it is firm for about 2 hours (or at least 30 min).
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Divide dough into 5 pieces and roll out small circles.
- Place them on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Arrange blueberries or sliced strawberries in circles, leaving about 1" clear around the edge of the dough.
- Add dried lavender flowers to blueberry or chopped fresh mint or thyme to strawberry galettes to make berries sweeter.
- Fold the edges.
- Beat an egg, add 1 Tbs cold water and mix it.
- Brush the edges of galettes with this mixture and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 40-50 min until golden brown.
- Let cool about 15 min and serve warm.