1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, chopped
1 garlic bulb
5 medium parsnips, peeled, cut in chunks
4 Tbs unsalted butter
5 Tbs sour cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup chives, thinly sliced
1 ts ground nutmeg
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 50 min
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Toss chopped butternut squash with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper and spread out on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, by which time the butternut squash pieces should be very tender.
- Meanwhile, using a good serrated knife, cut about 3/8 inch off the top of the garlic bulb and place the bottom part in the oven next to the roasting squash.
- Roast garlic for 30 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, cook the parsnip in a boiling salted water for 25-30 minutes until it is completely soft.
- In a large bowl combine roasted butternut squash pieces and cooked parsnip.
- Hold the bottom of the bulb of garlic and gently press upward to release the cooked flesh into the bowl.
- Add the butter, nutmeg, and season a little.
- Crush well, using a potato masher or a fork. Do not over mix. The mash should remain chunky.
- Gently fold in sour cream and chives and mix all together.
Adapted from Ottolenghi