2-3 Tbs olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, small diced
1 leek, white part only, sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and medium diced
2 large carrots, medium diced
3 celery stalks, medium diced
1/2 ts ground black pepper
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 fresh rosemary sprig
Pinch of saffron threads (optional)
8-10 cups water
Toasted pumpkin seeds, to garnish
Aleppo, to garnish
Salt, ground black pepper to taste
Servings: up to 10
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 40 min
- Heat the oil in a large pot and saute onion until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add leek and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add squash, carrots, and celery and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add water, sugar, salt, pepper, herbs, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer the soup about 25 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Turn off the heat, let it cool down for 10 minutes and, using an immersion blender, puree the soup.
- Serve with toasted pumpkin seeds and sprinkle with aleppo or red pepper flakes.
Adapted from Einat Admony