2 Tbs olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 ts brown sugar
1 pound chickpeas (drained, rinsed, if it is canned)
1 28-once can crushed or diced tomatoes (no salt added)
1/2 cup golden raisins
zest of 1 lemon
4 cups spinach
2 ts cumin seeds
1 ts ground coriander
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min
- In a medium pot heat the olive oil, add onions and brown sugar and caramelize for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cumin seeds and coriander and cook 3 minutes until spices turn fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, raisins, and lemon zest.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add spinach, stir in, and turn down the heat.