12/12/2016 0 Comments
Chocolate Sugar Cookies
1 1/8 cups AP flour
1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 ts kosher salt
1/8 ts baking soda
6 Tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 ts pure vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted over boiling water
Servings: 20-26 each
Preparation time: 20 min and 40 min to refrigerate until firm
Baking time: 10 min
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Put the soft butter into the large bowl, add sugar and mix (using an electric mixer) until fluffy, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla, orange zest and mix until smooth.
- Pour in melted chocolate (warm, NOT hot) and mix again, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- On a medium speed of the mixer, stir in dry ingredients in two batches until mixed well.
- Wrap the batter in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm for at least 40 minutes or up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, let it soften (about 10-20 minutes) and cut it in half.
- Place a half of the dough between two parchment pieces and roll out about 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
- Re-roll scraps and cut out again (chill the dough a bit if it becomes too soft).
- Arrange the cookies 1 inch apart on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Let them cool and then transfer to a platter.
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Leave a Reply.