Soak green lentils for 30 min before cooking!
2 1/2 cups green lentils, rinsed, soaked
200 g bacon
1 medium shallot, diced
1 leek, only white part, sliced
2 large celery stalks, diced
1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
6 oz baby spinach, chiffonade
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt, black pepper to taste
Preparation time: 20 min plus 30 min to soak green lentils
Cooking time: 25-30 min
- In a medium pan render bacon fat over medium to low heat.
- Take the bacon out of the pan and set aside.
- In a medium rondo pour 2 -3 Tbs of rendered fat and save or discard the rest.
- Heat fat, if needed, and add shallot, leek, and celery and saute for 7 minutes.
- Stir in thyme leaves and bay leaf.
- Add rinsed green lentils and boiled water to cover these lentils.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer under the lid for 15 minutes until lentils soft but not mushy.
- Add spinach, mix well. Adjust seasonings.
- Stir in heavy cream and mix again.
- Return cooked bacon to the rondo and garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
Use olive oil instead of bacon.