2 cups AP flour
4 oz cold unsalted butter, diced
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/3 cup cold water
10 oz baby bella mushrooms, washed in cold water if needed, chopped
1 leek, white and pale green part, cut lengthwise and sliced
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 egg, beaten with 2 drops of water
Salt, black pepper to taste
Preparation time: 20 min then (for 30 min - 2 hours) rest the dough in the fridge
Baking time: 45 min
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- On a large cutting board, combine the flour and butter, chop together to achieve a crumbly mix.
- Transfer this mix to a medium bowl, add salt and water to form the dough.
- Wrap with cling wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat a little olive oil and saute mushrooms until they release juice.
- Add leek and seasonings and saute for 5-10 more minutes until soft.
- Pour heavy cream and cook for 5 minutes until the liquid evaporates.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves and set aside to cool down.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and cut it in half.
- On a floured surface, roll out a half of the dough in any shape (circle, square etc.) and place it on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Fill with cooled mushroom mixture.
- Roll out the remaining half of the dough and place over the filling.
- Press the edges and trim with a knife.
- Brush lightly with an egg mixture and cut an opening in the center of the pie for steam.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is golden.
The dough and filling can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge.
Adapted from Jacques Pepin